Public Funding of 5G Deployment
Structural and investment Funds (ESIF): 6 billion EUR for digital networks
- European Regional Fund (EFRD)
- European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD)
Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) – Telecom Strand
- Broadband Fund (CEBF):
expected leverage of 1-1.7 billion EUR for broadband deployment in underserved areas
Investments between 1 million and 30 million EUR for projects representing total costs of up to 150 million EUR
Operational launch in 2018
- WiFi4EU Initiative
- 120 million EUR for equipment
European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI)
- Initiative launched to help overcome the current investment gap in the EU by mobilising private financing for strategic investments
- Up to now over 2.2 billion for NGA projects
And also the ESA Satellite 5G initiative (S45G)
The European Space Agency (ESA) and the European Space Industry joined forces in the field of Satellite for 5G. They are aiming at developing and demonstrating the added value that Satellite brings in the context of 5G. They indicate that satellite will bring added value in facilitating Pan-European and global coverage, resilience, mobility and security for the provision of 5G services and as enabler of innovative infrastructure and services. For that purpose, priority will be given to Verticals in which satellites can have a prominent role, such as transport, media and entertainment, public safety, without precluding additional relevant Verticals and use cases.
The ESA Satellite 5G initiative supports development activities falling within the following two activity types:
- Activity Type 1: Technology and Product Development & Validation Trials These activities relate to the development of 5G integrated satellite terrestrial system and/or its components.
- Activity Type 2: Applications development & Vertical Pilots These activities relate to the development and/or demonstration of applications and services based on 5G networks and space based systems, where potential users are involved in the pilots.
Information on funding mechanisms and proposals can be found here.