- Between July 2017 and September 2017, RTR launched a public consultation on 5G spectrum auctions.
- 4-3.8 GHz SCA (Simple Clock Auction) took place in March 2019.
- 700 MHz/1500 MHz/2100 MHz, expected in Q1 2020
- 5G Strategy for Austria, April 2018.
- All MNOs started 5G trials.
- T-Mobile Austria 5G launch in March 2019
RTR consulted three times on 5G spectrum between July 2017 and February 2018, finally opting for a SCA on 3.4-3.6 GHz bands scheduled in February 2019. On May 28th, 2018, TKK decided on the revision of the Position Paper on Infrastructure Sharing in Mobile Networks.
The Austrian Government set up a steering group for 5G in February 2017. The “5G strategy for Austria” document was approved in April 2018.
The document defines three phases:
- Pre-commercial 5G tests are expected to be held during the first phase by mid-2018
- By year-end 2020, nationwide availability of 100 Mbps connections should be almost reached. This creates the basis for a nationwide expansion of 5G. At the same time, the market launch of 5G in all provincial capitals should take place.
- In Phase 3, 5G should be accessible across the main traffic roads by year-end 2023, followed by nationwide coverage two years later.
It lists 24 actions in terms of spectrum, funding, research…, translating into ten concrete measures for 5G applications.
On Dec 20, 2018, the consultation on the product and auction design for the award 700/1500/2100 MHz started. The tender is expected in Autumn 2019 and the auction in Q1 2020.
In June 2019, RTR issued a consultation on potential assignments of the 2.3 GHz and 26 GHz bands. The 2.3 GHz band was mentioned in the 2016 Spectrum Release Plan whereas the 26 GHz was not.
In August 2019, the Austrian Government announced the new national broadband strategy ‘Breitbandstrategie 2030’. The strategy aims to provide nationwide access to gigabit-capable broadband services by the end of 2030.
The goals are:
- Nationwide access to 100Mbps speeds by end 2020
- Launch 5G in all federal state capitals by end 2020
- Becoming a ‘5G pilot country’ by early 2021
- 5G coverage along all main traffic routes by end-2023
- Nationwide coverage of 5G by the end of 2025.