Technical 5G performance requirements set by the ITU-R in its ITU-R M.2410-0 report released in November 2017
- The minimum requirements for downlink peak data rate: 20 Gbps
- The minimum requirements for uplink peak data rate: 10 Gbps
- Target downlink “user experienced data rate”: 100 Mbps
- Target uplink “user experienced data rate”: 50 Mbps
- Downlink peak spectral efficiency is 30 bps/Hz
- Uplink peak spectral efficiency: 15 bps/Hz
- Minimum requirement for user plane latency for eMBB: 4ms
- Minimum requirement for user plane latency for uRLLC: 1ms
- Minimum requirement for control plane latency: 20ms
- A lower control plane latency of around 10 ms is encouraged though
- Minimum requirement for connection density: 1 million devices per km2.
- Requirement for bandwidth: at least 100 MHz
- Bandwidths up to 1 GHz are required for higher frequencies (above 6 GHz)
- Four classes of mobility defined:
- Stationary: 0 km/h
- Pedestrian: 0km/h to 10 km/h
- Vehicular: 10km/h to 120 km/h
- High-speed vehicular: 120 km/h to 500 km/h
Some examples of 5G commercial networks and their official performances
The number of alive 5G networks increased significantly in Europe and outside Europe since the beginning of 2019. At the end of 2019, 5G commercial services had been deployed in 10 EU countries. Here bellow some of the commercial 5G services and their official performances.
Telia sells two 5G mobile price plans under the “Rajaton” series. These unlimited price plans are mostly structured by guaranteed speeds.
- The “Rajaton 5G 1000M” or “Telia Unlimited 1000M” premium plan is charged at 49.90 EUR per month. It offers speeds of 1 Gbps and unlimited data in Finland, Nordic and Baltic countries. In EU and EEE countries, data consumption is limited to 25 GB/month.
- The “Rajaton 5G 450M” or “Telia Unlimited 450M” mid-range plan is charged at 39.90 EUR per month (44.90 EUR/month after 12 months). It proposes speeds of 450 Mbps and unlimited data in Finland, Nordic and Baltic countries. In EU and EEE countries, data consumption is limited to 21 GB/month.
Telia Connection is the home broadband price plan. It is charged at 44.90 EUR/month. It offers speeds of 1 Gbps and unlimited data. In EU and EEE countries, data consumption is limited to 21 GB/month.
Telecom Italia launched its 5G service on June 24th, 2019 in parts of Rome and Turin. TIM offers three new dedicated 5G-ready plans of which 2 are marketed as true 5G. TIM Advance 4.5G offers speeds of up to 700 Mbps and costs EUR 19.99 per month and comes with unlimited calls and SMS plus 40 GB of data at speeds of up to 700 Mbps.
By contrast, TIM Advance 5G is a true 5G plan. It costs EUR 29.99 per month and comes with unlimited calls and SMS plus 50 GB
of data at speeds of up to 2Gbps. Finally, TIM Advance 5G Top plan costs EUR 49.99 for unlimited calls and SMS plus 100 GB of data at speeds of up to 2 Gbps.
Vodafone Spain launched its commercial 5G services at 3.7 GHz in 15 cities on June 15 with initial speeds of up to 1 Gbps (and 2 Gbps at YE2019).