The BundesNetzAgentur released 5G auction draft conditions awaiting final validation in November 26, 2018.
On November 26th, 2018, the BundesNetzAgentur released the final award conditions and auctions rules for the upcoming 5G spectrum auction. The qualification procedure to the auction is therefore open from November 26th until January 25th, 2019 at 3.00 pm. The auction is scheduled for Spring 2019.
Conditions are set in two stages, as follows:
By 2022, provide 100 Mbps:
- To at least 98% of homes
- Along all federal motorways
- Along major federal roads
- Along major railway lines
By 2024, provide:
- At least 100 Mbps along all other federal roads
- At least 50 Mbps along all national roads
- At least 50 Mbps in ports and along major shipping lanes
- At least 50 Mbps along other railway lines
Latency on all federal roads and motorways should be 10 ms.
Coverage conditions have been strengthened while the 5G timetable seems to have been softened: each provider should build 1000 5G stations by year-end 2022, provided the technology is available, meaning the deadline could be extended if 5G is not ready and 500 in white spots.